Monday, March 31, 2008

More Chicken Pox!

I'm not exactly sure why all four of my children didn't come down with the Chicken Pox at the same time. If I remember correctly, this is how it used to happen. You know, back in the "old days" before there was a vaccine for every imaginable thing. Somehow, we have managed to spread out the chicken pox virus over the course of a month. Maybe it's even been longer....the days/weeks sort of blur together after a while!

Anyway, it started with Micah. I watched the others every moment of the day for the spots, but none were found. He went through the ordeal, gained a playstation 2 out of it, itched and drank lots of juice and then it was over. The doctor said the baby most likely wouldn't get it, but James would unless I vaccinated him. So off I went to get the shot and hope he wouldn't come down with the spots.

Nope. He got them. Then the baby got them.

And now, after I thought we were home free, sweet Dori has it. We were just getting out of the van at church yesterday when she showed me her tummy....and I knew what it was right away. Dori was vaccinated, but yet, she came down with them, too. Also that morning we learned that two other vaccinated children from our church have caught them. One a fairly bad case.

Interesting stuff, eh?

God has used this whole experience to help me learn about life and about resting in Him. We are just not in control, are we? He is sovereign and we are not. How often we think we are able to manipulate this or that....or if we just do this for our children or that for our children then we will guarantee that xyz won't happen to them. It happens all the time, doesn't it? The reality, again, is that He is sovereign, and we simply are not.

So when these things happen, that we try to prevent or control or whatever, God is showing me to just rest in Him. I don't have to respond with alarm and fretting, or fear. He knows. He's with me. And He's with my children. Their protection is ultimately in His hands. Truthfully, this is very hard for me. But it's something I'm working on. I guess I can thank the chickenpox for helping me with this lesson.

Dori is doing just fine, by the way. After she recovers, I think I'll be more careful about saying we are "finally done" with the chicken pox. Who knows, maybe me or Jason will catch it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment