Sunday, November 9, 2008

Election Stuff

The other day I was driving home from the store and I saw a neon pink sign next to all the other political signs that said, "Elect Jesus Lord Tuesday. Vote for Jesus." Hmmmm

I'm sure the people who posted this sign are very dear, well-meaning folks, but for the life of me I do not understand what they are trying to accomplish. I wasn't aware Jesus was on the ballot. Are they equating voting McCain to voting the way Jesus would? Perhaps they were trying to say that somehow "choosing" Jesus is more important than any election? Further, what would this mean to an unbelieving person? Does this sign give any explanation as to how one can "vote for Jesus?" Is the message to believers primarily or unbelievers? Can we really "elect" Jesus to do or be something anyway?

It's perplexing. As a believer in Christ, I can give these folks the benefit of a doubt and probably come to some sort of understanding in their message. But to a world of unbelievers, this sign sends a confused and inarticulate message.

Let me clear it up: The Sovereign King of the Universe is Lord over all, whether you "elect" him or not. 'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment