Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Some Art, Some Life, Some Spring

It seems like winter has dragged on, but I dare not complain as I was once quite accustomed to snow falling at times through April. That said, it seems like winter has dragged on around here! Thankfully, though, the sun is gradually making its appearance with more frequency than usual and the crocuses are popping up along with other random yellow flowers. The kids are giddy watching it all happen and I confess I am too!

We all love spring around here...what it represents, what it feels like, what it smells like. Since we spend most days at home, I try to bring bits of spring time decoration into our home--all with the help of some very creative little artists that share my last name. :)

I found these cute, old egg cups at the Salvation Army a few months ago. I just couldn't pass them up! When we dye our eggs before Easter maybe we will display them in these cute cups. You can't really tell from the photo but there is a man, woman, chicken, and some unknown design painted on them.

I try to display a good book on the kitchen counter that sort of represents whatever season we are in or that goes along with something we are doing in school. This book is another gem I recovered at the Salvation Army. "The Springs of Joy" by Tasha Tudor. So far, I have found 5 Tasha Tudor books at various thrift shops both here in MS and in RI. I can't even fathom getting rid of a Tasha Tudor picture book. Horrors. When Micah saw this book displayed he said, "Boy...I guess you really like Tasha Tudor, huh Mom?" LOL. Yes, son...I do. Her artwork is so lovely to look at and I love the innocence and simplicity of the children in all of her books. This is a book of poems.


James created this "fort" today. He told me the bad guys were in jail. He also drew the picture below. I LOVE this artwork, people. In case you didn't know...this is a family portrait. There are a few too many represented...not sure what kind of message James is sending me. He told me I am the one with the "sticking up kind of hair" and Judson is the tiniest round subject with only one eye. I find this so comical.


My sweet, dear, talented friend Claudia Windham painted this and gave it to me a while ago. I just wanted to take a moment to showcase it in my blog because I love it so and so love her. I love the colors, the subject matter, and most of all the person who painted it. She's pretty awesome!


A recent crafting adventure. Beads and glue. You can make everything better with some beads and some glue.



James has really been into forts lately. Everything turns into a fort. I mean everything. I found the toilet paper piled up in the bathroom strangely one day last week. Yep, it was a James fort. Today he made a fort out of three footstools. Yesterday the kitchen chairs were missing--yep..in the den as a fort. A few days ago I discovered James and Judson in a stuffed animal fort behind the couch. I'm just glad he's moved on from "booby traps." That stage did some damage!

This is what happens when James gets into his playmobil. I mean really gets into it.

Look at that sneaky little cute face! "Hmmm....how many teeny, tiny pieces can I possibly pull out on the floor for mommy to navigate through on her way out the door?"

Here is a shot of my Mom, Dori, and Grandmother on the day of my brother's wedding. We had a fun lunch at Cracker Barrel. Cousin Joseph was really into the biscuits. LOL.


I'll close out with this shot of me and my sweet Judson. What a stinker. What a ball of love. Hope everyone is having a wonderful start to SPRING!

2 comments:

  1. How cool is James' artwork? I love me some artwork from a child's perspective! The painting Claudia made--reminds me of you--you and all your little chicks. :)Thanks for sharing!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing about the painting by Claudia. It does remind me of you and your chicks and it even has an egg for the future chicks you add to your nest!

    ReplyDelete